Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Being a "Hands-On Mom"

I discovered the best way to keep my toddler engaged. Its a simple, no-mess, no-cost exercise, that anyone can do from just about anywhere(unless you live in a war zone!) weather permiting!. Its called- GOING FOR A WALK!.
We started this week, by walking around the neighborhood. Thankfully, the weather was much better than it has ever been since we came here! (and my husband promises it will get better- well, except (there is always an EXCEPT!), this weekend, when it may snow again!).
Its simply a beautiful thing to do. If you always wanted to "stop and smell the roses", then this is the way to do it!. My kiddo is just about curious about everything on the way- the dogs, cats, birds, the planes in the sky, the lady with a stroller and even the gravel on the pavement!. Its fun introducing him to the ordinary things in life, that are so mundane for us, yet new and exciting for him!.
Yesterday, we saw a little birdie's nest in the tree. And today, we saw the garbage truck emptying out the roadside bins!.
Im trying to be a "Hands-on Mom"!- so nowadays I'm planning new, practical and educational activities at home. Yesterday, we spent the evening playing with lentils!. I gave my little one lots of spoons and lots of vessels of different sizes, and watched while he filled and emptied them all. The activity ended with him spilling all of them on the floor (and eating a few), so had to call it "quits!" early on!. Anyways, it was fun while it lasted!. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe in..

My photo
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than the ones you did.So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Let the trade winds in. Explore. Dream. Enjoy."